|The main road from Topeka to Emporia, Kansas was put into use August 01, 1870. The line between Topeka and |
Atchison, Kansas was opened May 13, 1872. The entire line between Atchison and the Colorado State line was
opened December 23, 1872. The extensions and branches of the road are leased in perpetuity and have been
mostly built under the auspices of the lessee. Except in the case of the Florence, El Dorado and Walnut Valley
Railroad, the company pays by way of rentals the interest on the bonds of its leased lines. The New Mexico
Division opened to Santa Fe, New Mexico, February 16, 1880, to Albuquerque, April 15, 1880, to San Marcial,
October 01, 1880 and to Deming, where the line connects with the Southern Pacific Railroad of California, 1,135
miles from Atchison on March 01, 1881. The extension of this line to Rincon to the southern boundary of New
Mexico was completed on July 01, 1881 and the Rio Grande and El Paso Railroad (the Texas division of the same
line), 20.15 miles was completed at the same time. The Marion & Mc Pherson Extension from Florence to
Ellinwood was completed on September 01, 1881, Florence, El Dorado & Walnut Valley Railroad to Douglas,
Kansas, August 01, 1881, the extension from Sedgwick to Halstead, December 31, 1881,
In 1882 the following extensions and lines were completed: Kansas City & Olathe Railroad, Holliday to Olathe,
New Mexican Railroad, San Antonio to San Pedro coal fields, Las Vegas to Hot Springs, Dillion to Blossburg,
New Mexico & Arizona Railroad, Benson Junction to Nogales boundary of Mexico. An additional track was also
laid between Kansas City and Argentine, Kansas, a distance of 4.10 miles. Also in 1882 the company obtained
absolute control of the Sonora Railroad and gained access by way of the Southern Pacific Railroad to run its
trains over the Southern Pacific Road from Deming to Benson a distance of 174 miles.
To complete the New Mexico & Southern Pacific Railroad, bonds were issued to acquire the stock of the
Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railroad, now known as the Southern Kansas Railroad.
In February, 1881 the company purchased the Kansas City, Burlington & Santa Fe Railroad, now a part of the
Southern Kansas Railroad. The Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad is equally interested in the St. Louis & San
Francisco Railroad in the construction of the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad west of Albuquerque, on the Rio Grande.
A controlling interest of share capitol has been set aside for the joint interest of each company.
During the year of 1882 the following leased roads were consolidated: The Kansas City, Emporia & Southern
and the Elk & Chautauqua Railroad Companies into the Kansas City, Emporia & Southern Railroad Company; the
Marion & Mc Pherson and Marion & Mc Pherson Extension Railroad Companies into the Marion & Mc Pherson
Railroad Company and the Cowley, Sumter & Fort Smith, the Harvey County and the Wichita Southwestern
Railroad Companies into the Wichita Southwestern Railroad Company.
During the year of 1883 construction of the following roads were commenced: Wichita & Western Railroad,
Wichita to Kingman, Kansas, Kansas City & Emporia Railroad, Emporia to Ottawa, Kansas Southern Railroad,
Girard to Chanute, New Mexican Railroad, Route #1, Socorro to Pueblo Spring, New Mexico
and Route #3, Nutt to Lake Valley.
Source: 1884 Poors Manual of Railroads