|On August 15, 1857, Josiah Hunt the Land Commissioner of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, platted the city |
of Hunnewell. It had been deeded in July of 1857 by Richard Drane and wife to John Duff, of Dedham,
Massachusetts for the sum of $1,200 and comprised a tract of sixty two and one half acres. The town was
christened Hunnewell in honor of H. Hollis Hunnewell of Boston, who was connected with the Hannibal & St.
Joseph Railroad, as was Mr. Duff.
Early in 1857, Stephen Doyle built the first storehouse and was afterwards known as the Doyle, Kellogg &
Company. Soon after the town opened, Richard Durbin built a frame building a story and a half into which his
family moved into, the first family to live in Hunnewell. A little later, Snider & Company built the third house
for a storeroom. Snider & Company stood for John Snider, W. F. Blackburn, Augustus L. Yancey and John
Maddox. The first lot deed was made out to William F. Blackburn.
In 1857, the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad having been completed to the city limits, a excursion was run from
Hunnewell to Monroe City on July 4th. In the fall of 1857 the first hotel was established by Mr. Ball, who
moved over from Old Clinton. John H. Snider was the first postmaster, with the first post office established
at the location of Snider & Company. In 1859 a schoolhouse was erected in the western part of town on the
south side of the railroad tracks. In 1895, a new brick schoolhouse was built with this building being located on
the north side of the tracks in the western edge. Hunnewell's first preacher was Rev. Thomas DeMoss, a
Methodist, with services being held in the schoolhouse.
The town of Hunnewell is located in the southeast corner of Shelby county and is one of the oldest and most
substantial towns of the county. The country surrounding is splendid agricultural land and the citizenship is the
old Missouri kind that believe in honesty and good morals. The town contain two banks, one newspaper and some
splendid stores and business houses.
General History of Shelby County, Missouri
Henry Taylor & Company Chicago, Illinois 1911