|Callao, Macon County, Missouri was laid out on the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad line, nine miles west of Macon |
City in 1858 by Samuel Humphrey and Samuel Kemm. Mr. Kemm erected the first business house in the town,
which was used as a store and hotel. The first dwelling house was built by Mr. Humphrey and William Everhart
opened the first blacksmith shop. The town contains three dry goods and grocery stores, two drug stores,two
blacksmith shops, a furniture store, hardware store, hotel, livery stable, restaurant and a harness shop. There
is also a woolen mill and a flour mill which are both powered by steam. About ten cars of freight comprising of
stock, tobacco and grain are shipped from here each month.
There are four churches in town: The M. E. Church South, Presbyterian and two colored churches of Baptist and
Methodist faith. The population in 1875 is around 250 and by 1885 was about 500.
It is located in a good agricultural district and is a thriving town that has daily mail and express shipments.
Controlling interest in the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad was acquired on June 18, 1883 by the Chicago
Burlington & Quincy railroad with the purchase of 87,100 shares of common stock and 46,500 shares of
preferred stock. The Burlington line agreed to pay par price for the common stock and $43.66 per share on the
preferred stock on the 5 per cent bonds of the company.