|Eleven Masons residing in Argentine who were desirous of having a Masonic Lodge in this area formed Ben Hur Lodge.|
They petitioned the Grand Lodge of Kansas and received their letter of dispensation on March 2, 1889
to install their officers and hold meetings.
Officers installed to preside over the new lodge were Anderson Phalp, Worshipful Master; Jesse H. Work,
Senior Warden; John Westmorland, Junior Warden; George W. Brown, Treasurer; Charles E. Bowman, Secretary;
J.B. Marshall, Senior Deacon; W.A. Mack, Junior Deacon; George E. Horne, Senior Steward; A.G. Compton,
Junior Steward; and E. H. Cook, Tyler.
On February 27, 1890, the Grand Lodge of Kansas issued a Charter to Ben Hur Lodge No. 322 A.F. & A.M.
This Charter recognized the lodge as being skilled members of the Fraternity and capable of carrying on
the good work of Masonry. The lodge met around the 21st and Silver area for nearly 30 years. Sufficient funds were
accumulated to build a Temple building, and on March 8, 1923, the present Temple was completed and dedicated. It is
still being used at the location of 30th and Connor.
The 1951 flood caught the Temple building, like many residents and business buildings. The water reached a few
inches above the lodge room floor; but was soon restored by the help of its members.
Submitted by: Wayne K. Ozias, Secretary