|The original Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Depot in Marseilles was constructed in 1867. The depot was a |
locally significant transportation hub which facilitated the shipment of people and goods to and from Marseilles
along the Rock Island and LaSalle Line, which became the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. The railroad,
which parallels the Illinois-Michigan Canal from Chicago to Peru, brought an end to passenger service along the
canal due to its success. The small wooden station was replaced in 1917 after citizens in
the city won a 40 year battle with the railroad and the U.S. Circuit Court ordered a new station be built.
The second station was in operation until 1974 and was sold to a private business owner in 1984.
The present Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Depot in Marseilles was added to the National Register
of Historic Places on November 7, 1995.