Robert E. Jacobs  was hired on January 02, 1945 by the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad as a
station helper at the  Liberty, Missouri depot. On
June 08, 1945 he passed his Certificate of Exam at
Brookfield, Missouri as an operator and was assigned the third trick, 2300 to 0700 at the C. B. & Q. depot in
Liberty, Missouri. He was then certified as an operator/leverman at the Birmingham depot on
April 26, 1946.
On December 07, 1946 he was then assigned the third trick, 2300 to 0700 at the Birmingham, Missouri depot
as a relief operator and bid that same job on December 16, 1946.
During his nine year tenure with the Chicago Burlington & Quincy he also worked at the following locations:

Block 222, Browning, Callao, Cameron Jct, Cameron, Carrollton, Chillicothe, Hamilton, Hunnewell, Kearney,
Lathrop, Liberty, Macon, Monroe City and Shelbina, Missouri.

Gene left the railroad in 1955, to take a position with Trans World Airlines in Kansas City.
My Present Past
A genealogical experience
Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad
Click on an image to view full size
Image above:
1946 letter from R. L. Huffman discussing Gene's desire to
learn the tower job at Birmingham.

Background image:
The track on the left is used by the
Chicago Burlington & Quincy. The spur for the Ford- Claycomo
plant was about 1/4 mile east of here.

Middle track is the Wabash, also used by the Chicago Rock
Island & Pacific on eastbound freight

The track to the right is also the Wabash.

The two separate set of tracks far right were the
Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul and used by the Chicago
Rock Island & Pacific.

Images left:
February 12, 1947 relief position change
1946 Order of Railroad Telegraphers
December 04, 1946 job assignment
December 16, 1946 job assignment
1945/46 Chicago Burlington & Quincy Depot Line Up:
Birmingham, Clay County, Missouri

Roland B. Karriker: Burlington Section Foreman
John W. Losh: Burlington Track Supervisor
Art Ray: Burlington Signal Maintainer
Barney Clevenger: Wabash Section Foreman
Jim McGowan: Milwaukee Section Foreman

A. W. Ogilvie: 1st Trick Operator
J. C. Davis: 2nd Trick Operator
R. E. Jacobs: 3rd Trick Operator
1947 Wabash local #2279, Mikado type (ALCO) 2-8-2 Class K3-b, eastbound through Birmingham, Missouri on
the #3 Wabash track. In this picture to the right of the locomotive (west side) you can see the track crossover
for the Wabash to switch to the Burlington track. The farthest building in the background to the right was a
switch building, the middle building commonly referred to as the "Victory Hut" housed the two Burlington Gandy
dancers, Abner and Knothead. The depot is the first building on the right. On the left (east side) the two
cabooses on the right of way were housing for Burlington employees Roland Karriker, John Losh and Art Ray
when they were on duty. This specific locomotive was scrapped in 1951-1952
1947 Wabash local #2274, Mikado type (ALCO) 2-8-2 Class K3, westbound through Birmingham, Missouri at the
crossing in front of the depot. In this particular photo you can see the Burlington track on the left
(west side) which was east and west traffic. The middle track was Wabash westbound and the track on the
right with the cars on the side was Wabash eastbound traffic. This particular locomotive was similar to the
#2279 but did not include the booster for extra traction.
The tracks here run north and south but their direction is considered east and west.
This specific locomotive was scrapped between 1950 and 1955.
The tower for Birmingham was located where the telephone pole
with the white box is in this background image. The tower was
larger than the one used at Block 222 and had an inside
stairwell. For heating the building the company used a coal fired
stove located on the second floor next to the stairwell which had
a flue that exited out the window and right under the eve of the
roof. At the time all towers except Birmingham were heated by
a coal fired furnaces located in the basement. In November,
1946, my dad was working third trick and noticed  smoke coming
from the roof of the building. He called the Kansas City, Missouri
Fire Department, grabbed the paychecks, his coat and exited
the building. With no water source the tower quickly burned to
the ground. The official cause was an electrical malfunction but
the actual cause of the fire was the coal fired stove on the
second floor and the placement of the flue. A. W. Ogilvie was
upset my dad didn't save his favorite set of pencils.