Below the crest on the east side of the divide the railroad does a complete loop upon itself. Where the tracks cross over
themselves, a high trestle was built at Riflesight Notch. Beneath the trestle was Tunnel 33, which had snow sheds on each
end. From the great loop the train descends down a four percent grade to the small town of Arrow where the passengers
could finally get off and have a warm cup of coffee.
In Grand County, Colorado, on the western side of Rollins (Corona) Pass where there was abundant timber, John Newmand and
W.H. "Bill" Wood selected a construction camp site for the Denver, Northwestern and Pacific Railroad in 1903. The camp
seemed ideal for the location of a railroad sawmill. When the railroad finally made it up the Moffat Road to the site in the
winter of 1904, not only had tents been erected but also more permanent structures were being built. On December 29, 1904
the camp became the first officially incorporated town in Grand County, Colorado, with the name of Arrowhead (which was
soon changed to Arrow). Although upwards of two thousand people received their mail at the Arrow post office, the 1905
population figure was only a quarter of that figure.
With incorporation, saloons, restaurants, gambling houses, and sporting houses became legal, but the town did not become
rowdy, largely because of Marshal Danby and his small wooden jail. Right away, half a dozen saloons sprang up but soon there
were more than a dozen. Also, irate wives of railroad employees sent "saloon girls" back to their saloons from public dances.
Arrow's two "modern" pressure-tank white gasoline street lights, located at the town's only two intersections, were turned
on at dusk. Meals could be had in the Dining Room of the Denver Railroad News and Hotel Eating House for twenty-five
cents, served on tin plates, with tin cups (for water from a bucket by the door) and iron eating utensils.
Arrow became a popular final destination for special summer trips sponsored by the railroad.
Just a year later, however, the population was down to sixteen. In 1920, Arrow was destroyed by fire, leaving only the depot
and Dining Hall standing. Arrow, with its entire business district gutted, became an immediate ghost town.
The site has since been re-timbered.