|By October 01, 1852 the forty mile segment between Chicago and Joliet was almost ready for opening. Some |
rail had yet to be laid. From Joliet to Morris, approximately 20 miles, less than a mile of grading remained until
track laying could be begun. Only a small section remained to be graded between Morris and Marseilles and less
than four miles had yet to be graded between Marseilles and Peru.
The original Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Depot in Marseilles was constructed in 1867. The depot was a
locally significant transportation hub which facilitated the shipment of people and goods to and from Marseilles
along the Rock Island and LaSalle Line, which became the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. The railroad,
which parallels the Illinois-Michigan Canal from Chicago to Peru, brought an end to passenger service along the
canal due to its success. The small wooden station was replaced in 1917 after citizens in
the city won a 40 year battle with the railroad and the U.S. Circuit Court ordered a new station be built.
The second station was in operation until 1974 and was sold to a private business owner in 1984.
The present Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Depot in Marseilles was added to the National Register of
Historic Places on November 7, 1995.