|Albert Gustave Hugo was born July 16, 1842 in Helmstedt, Germany. While in Helmstedt he served for three |
years in the German calvary His father, Dr. Charles Hugo arrived in the United States in 1859 and Albert
followed arriving on the ship Pennsylvania from Liverpool on May 06, 1867. Both father and son locating in
Wyanet, Bureau County, Illinois. Albert opened up a saddlery and harness business. He met Katherine Engel,
the daughter of John and Jacobine (Hauter) Engel and they were married July 02, 1871 in Wyanet, Illinois.
Of this union three children were born, Albert M (Bertie), Ada M, and Charles John.
On December 26, 1878 he was naturalized as a U. S. Citizen in Princeton, Bureau County, Illinois.
He and Katherine remained in Wyanet until 1885, moving to Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas. He acquired a job
as a clerk and timekeeper for the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, working with his cousin, Clifford
Nichols who was a Trainmaster at the same location. He and Kate remained in Topeka until 1901, where they
moved to Okawville, Washington County, Illinois. There he purchased the old Pecan Grove Creamery property to
build his retirement home and to pursue his artistic abilities.
Albert Gustave Hugo died February 06, 1905 in Okawville, Washington County, Illinois. His remains were first
interred at Hillcrest Abbey Crematory and Mausoleum in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1932 they were removed and
sent to George D. Engel of Liberty, Missouri who would deposit his remains next to his wife at
Forest Hill Cemetery in Wyanet, Bureau County, Illinois.