|In early 1905 a group of women from Argentine under the guidance of Mrs. Edith Taylor met at a luncheon and |
discussed the need for a literary and philanthropic club in the Argentine community. From that meeting the
women decided to form such a club and the first dues of $1.00 were collected. The following officers were
also elected: President - Mrs. Helen Hutchings, 1st Vice President - Mrs. Edith Taylor, Second Vice President -
Mrs. Maggie Lovelace, Secretary - Treasurer - Mrs. May Crawford, Program Committee - Mrs. Maggie W.
Lovelace, Mrs. Sadie Engel and Mrs. Edith Darnall. Other charter members were Mrs. Mary O. Bliss,
Mrs. Fannie Blatchley, Mrs. Minerva Smith, Mrs. Essie Landrey, Mrs. Alice Horne, Mrs. Ida Gerheart,
Mrs. Louise Hall, Mrs. Jenney Anderson, Mrs. Kittie Lippencott, Mrs. Minnie Enright, Mrs. Emma Lucas,
Mrs. Luna Govier, Mrs. Sadie Gulley and Mrs. Alta Monohan.
Early in the history of the club they studied Nathaniel Hawthorne and soon adopted this name for their club.
The first official meeting of the Hawthorne Club was September 12, 1905 and was hosted by Maggie Lovelace.
The club would read book reviews, study current events, recite quotations from numerous books including the
bible. During roll call of a meeting if a member did not answer with a quotation and read or tell of a current
event during the meeting, they would be penalized five cents for current events and one cent for quotations.