|On March 6, 1890, a meeting was held for the purpose of organizing a Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.|
J.A. Westmoreland was appointed chairman of the meeting and J.B. Marshel as secretary. The name of "Leah"
Chapter was unanimously chosen. Mary O. Bliss was elected Worthy Matron; J. A. Westmoreland, Worthy Patron; Louise
Marshel, Associate Matron, Clara Crawford, Secretary and Kate Kilmer as treasurer.
On March 20, 1890, the newly installed Matron appointed four Star Points, Warder and Sentinel. In 1891, the
first by-laws were passed and it was unanimously decided to change the name to Tirzah, Ben Hur's sister.
Tirzah Chapter's first Grand Chapter appointment was Sister Lucas, Chairman of Nechroloty. In 1903 the
flood touched many of their members and the Grand Chapter appointed a relief committee to see to their needs.
Sister May Crawford was appointed as Grand Marshall.
In 1908, a great honor was paid to Tirzah Chapter when Sister May Crawford was elected WSorthy Grand Matron of the
Grand Chapter of Kansas. The first mention of The Pal's Club (Past Matrons and Patrons) of Tirzah Chapter appears in the
minutes as early as 1920. It was in 1923 that Tirzah started meeting in the new Temple building at 30th and
Connor, previous to that, they met in the old hall over McGeorge's Drug Store, 22nd and Metropolitan.
Tirzah Chapter sponsored the Jobs Daughter Bethel, working under dispensation, October 22, 1924.
The Advance Nights were started in the 1931 to 1940 period. Brother Thomas Finigan was elected
Worthy Grand Patron of the Grand Chapter of Kansas.
Tirzah Chapter continues to be blessed with quality leadership in meeting the demands of change and progress.
Submitted by: Wanda Lee Strader, Worthy Matron
Source: Centennial History of Argentine; Kansas City, KS 1880-1980